Sunday, February 12, 2012

Module I


Essential Question
How can educators use new media to better reach and teach Alaska’s students?
            I think that media is a key resource in the classroom. The internet provides numerous aides for teachers and students. Websites like the Teacher’s Domain offer great assistance for all ages and in multiple subject areas.  Furthermore, I’ve seen Google Earth used multiple times in the classroom. It gives students a great perception of place and geography. Students can look at weather systems, time lapses, historical areas, ocean features and much more.

As the gizmos and gadgets change with every generation, we should strive to incorporate this technology into the classroom.  The daily devices that students use can be turned into educational tools if we go about it properly. Any of the Apple devices can be used for so much more than music downloads and such. Even YouTube can be used as a tool. At a 2008 Fall Literacy Conference at the University of Idaho, I choose a forum that involved YouTube in the classroom. It made me think of the website in a different light.

There are also gizmos and gadgets that have presented themselves in multiple classrooms. Smart boards have been very beneficial, increasing the interaction between students and the understanding of materials. This correlates with all the new overheads too. Certain models of Kindle’s have modified e-reader features to help students with learning disabilities. The text can be highlighted to help track where the reader last left off. Also, text can be read aloud when highlighted.

This is a great website for other ‘Digital Gadgets’

Examine Question
 How can non-indigenous and indigenous teachers help students to embrace both ways?
           The biggest way non-indigenous and indigenous teachers can help students see both ways is through communication and encouraging a open mindedness.  Being non-indigenous myself and only being in Alaska for a little over a year now, I enjoy learning about the culture that surrounds me. At first, I was a little reluctant to ask questions. Since then, I’ve developed a great relationship with my students and staff, and I am able to communicate on a much deeper level. It just took time.  I enjoy making that connection and being able to exchange stories and culture.    

In one of my other classes, there was an article that mentioned how a teacher would introduce a new science lesson. He approached it by asking the students where would you place a fishing net in a stream and why. After the students explained their answers, the teacher introduced the terms that defined and supported their conclusions. I liked how the teacher was able to introduce completely new information, and the students already had a grasp on the concept because it related to personal experiences. Any individual is able to understand new content material if he or she can relate to the topic at hand. 

The Spirit of Subsistence Living video was a great representation of this examine question. Being able to fully emerge in a culture and learn its practices would help me further embrace the tradition and develop a more culturally rich curriculum. I would like to participate in something like that. 

Extend Question
  What educational cultural connections can you make in your community?
     There a multiple cultural connections that I can make in my community. Some of the connections I’ve been grateful to have already made when I first started in Juneau. One of the first things my principal wanted me to do, as part of my program, was becoming familiar with all the community resources that our students will need connections to. By doing so, I have maintained relationships with individuals who I can count on to pass on cultural values and traditions to our students.

During Elizabeth Peratrovich Day last year, I invited two Tlingit individuals to speak to our students and staff. One is a well-known and respected elder in the community, and the other, an inspirational presenter who many of our youth know. In addition, a gentleman I’ve worked with during the year brought his drumming group to the event and performed. It was great to see some of the students get out of the seat and join the drumming circle and even sing.  Our lunch was then prepared by students and the volunteers who had donated food to make a delicious, traditional meal.

You can never have too many connections. I will always be looking for new and different activities, and look at Juneau’s large cultural network to help me do so.

Evaluation
 This is the first time I’ve been introduced to the Teacher’s Domain. I’ve found it a little overwhelming, just
because there are so many resources. Once I familiarize myself with its entirety, I look forward to using it the
future.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting the link to Discovery Education - it's great to know there is a comprehensive resource online for using handheld devices for educational purposes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Crystal,
    Sounds like a very nice inclusion of culture in the classroom with the Tlingit elder in the classroom inspiring students to leave their chairs and join. Inspiring!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job Kristi from a fellow Vandal and Idahoan. I enjoyed your comments on the usefulness of the internet and the varity of resources it has to offer. I also enjoyed how you made and utilized connections with local resources.

    ReplyDelete